Thursday, 20 January 2011

Listen, Learn, Read On

"Once you have read it, you'll want to tell your friends about it.  When you do, please don't tell them what happens either.  The magic is how it unfolds".


* * * POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT * * *

What utter garbage.  It's crap.  Nothing happens.  You expect this great something to unfold, and you know what, it doesn't.  It's just a story.  And not a very satisfying one.  Easy to read, yes.  Quick to read, yes.  But...

"Searingly eloquent" - Daily Mail
"ambitious and fearless..." - Guardian
"Impressess as a feat of literary engineering" - Telegraph
"...the most powerful novel I've read in a long time...." - The Gloss (Ireland)

...nope.

Or am I missing something??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, see, I'm glad I'm not the only one. It started well, but I kept waiting for the searing eloquence.

Never came, did it?

Shirl said...

I totally agree! It was OK, but just OK. And all the exaggerated blurb just makes it seem disappointing... because it's not (in my humble opinion) anything like a literary masterpiece!