So today the Don and I were planning to jet off to viva some of Las Vegas.
Except now we're not. Thanks to three incredibly over-tired and grumpy children, one of whom is ill, and also extraordinarily attached to his father, which means he cries every time the Don so much as leaves the room. I don't know if it's an age, a stage, or because we've moved house and poor Lightning has been punted from pillar to post in the process and is now trying to settle in to a new place and space, but boy, he's hard work at the moment. The soundtrack to our life is currently "Daddeeeee, daddeeeee..." or "Daddee? Daddee? Daddee?" and as sweet as it is that he loves his dad, it's also really quite exhausting.
Though he also has some competition from his eldest sister. For some reason Toots has become scared of the dark, and obsessed with there being a fire in the house, with fire alarms, candles or fairy lights being left burning, and all things related to fires, candles and alarms. Which doesn't make for a good combination. Again I don't know if it's just an age or a stage, or if we simply have to thank the kind neighbourhood kid who told her that this house was previously gutted by fire (which would make sense given that there are now eight - eight! - smoke alarms in this 2,000 sq ft bungalow), but my understanding and patience only lasts for so long during these increasingly wakeful nights.
Don't think I'm not being compassionate about either of these situations, but the thing about Vegas, is that I really want to go. The Don, he's not so fussed, but I'd really like to see more than just the airport (which we passed through on the way to San Diego), and ideally, see it all without kids. A 10-hour round trip to the Grand Canyon ain't gonna be a kids cup of tea, neither is Cirque du Soleil or any other show, or for that matter, a good sleep in. And it's one of the few exciting places that you can actually fly to direct from MAF. And, more importantly, this is one of the few times we actually have a live-in baby sitter, three suitably aged children, and after the hassles of the last few months, the impending arrive of little Joe and knowing I'm just gonna turn in to a feeding machine once again for 6-months, its a perfect opportunity for a break in the sun with my hun. And I know I know we still could have gone, and perhaps for my own sanity I should have (waking up for the day at 5am, or waking numerous times during the night to comfort, coddle and cajole various children back in to bed, does not put me in good stead for the day), but would it really be worth leaving a house full of anxious, stressed and upset children? Knowing the situation would just end up worse by the time we came home? Knowing yet more change is gonna come in the next month? Without even mentioning the poor Oma that would have to deal with the darlings alone while we were gone.
Not that we're losing money or anything by not going - we didn't get round to booking flights since last minute seems to be our happy norm at the moment - just losing a few days to ourselves... and perhaps a little sanity.
So I know, what we really need is to add a newborn to the mix. Good planning!
No comments:
Post a Comment