Thursday, 10 October 2013

The Doctor

In just under two years I've caught up with my favourite author.  Okay, not favourite, favourite, favourite author - don't really have one of them - but a novelist I came upon just by chance, and whose books I have read more than any other since then.

Two years ago in a fortnight's time we were holidaying in Fort Myers Beach, FL.  Every day we drove over the bridge from Estero Island to the mainland via San Carlos Island, and every day we looked down from that first humpbacked bridge and saw Doc Ford's Rum Bar and Grill.  So one evening we went.  And over fish (not for me) and mojitos (me), we learned all about Randy Wayne White.  Along with the check I picked up his first Doc Ford novel, and haven't looked back since (Incidentally, the beginning is a very good place to start - and one I'd highly recommend if you do decide to peruse any of his books.  Starting any later you'll just spoil the surprises that gradually come upon you).  Now, almost two years and nineteen books later I've caught up with his writing.  Bah humbug.  Actually, his twentieth novel did come out in hardback last February, but I'm gonna wait for the paperback edition in the new year.

It's a funny thing though...  I think I've enjoyed them because we actually spent some time in the area that is written about (albeit only one week - and I'll admit despite my earlier vocal reservations about the Sunshine State, I'd go back to South West Florida in a flash), and therefore I can picture the island and sea and beach.  But also I think the subject, I'm embarrassed to say, harks back to my days of youth and enjoyment of Dirk Pitt (who I think would be well played by Gorgeous George).  I think RWW is a far better, more complex, realistic, interesting, factual and addictive writer, but there's something there that's similar and, therefore, appeals.  But I'll not tell you any more... to do so would spoil the novels should you ever read them.

Speaking of which, if you do decide to pick one, two, three or more up: persevere. The third one I didn't enjoy, but after about five I kept having to order two together because as soon as I'd finished one I desperately wanted to read the next one.  And it's not like they even follow on from each other....  Anyway, if any of you want them, I have them all, though I think I'm gonna read the first one again.

I do love an easy, enjoyable, addictive read.

No comments: