Sunday, 9 February 2025

The Beautiful and Damned

Today was the day we were going to see Amsterdam "dutch-style" i.e. on bikes woop woop!  



I think Tiger was a bit nervous, but I loved it: think driving in Jordan or walking in Naples.  But first, to ensure we had enough strength, some Appelgebak: 

Nothing beats cake for breakfast!

I have to admit, I did not really get any photos of us cycling
'in action' - the cycle lanes were too busy, and gloves 
 and phones in busy lanes are not a good combo!

Tiger studied Van Gogh last year for her Nat 4 Art, so we definitely wanted to hit the Van Gogh museum.  I didn't know much about him, but man alive, the difference between seeing art in a photo and art in real life is phenomenal, especially his 'classics'.


Self-portrait with pipe 1886


Congrgation Leaving the Reformed Church in Neunen 1884
This was one of my favourites of his early 'earthy'
country-boy styles

Self-portrait with grey felt hat 1887

Courtesan (after Eisen) 1887

Photos just do not do Sunflowers justice. 

Sunflowers 1889

The White Orchard 1888


Van Gogh started to go a bit crazy (I mean there's more to the story) and in May 1889 self-admitted to a psychiatric hospital in Provence. In my opinion, the painting that he did there - more than one a day - were his most stunning...

Cypresses and Two Women 1890

Butterflies and Poppies 1889

...especially Iris's which is UNBELIEVABLE in real life.  Utterly gorgeous.  I think anyway.

Irises 1890

Almond Blossom 1890 was Tiger's favourite

Post museum we cycled around the city checking out some more tourist hot-spots and some culinary delights *cough.


Rijksmuseum



Lunch:
Broodje haring (pickled herring) for some, 
fries and sauce for others.
Both dutch classics, one nicer than the other.


Floating Flower Market



Reguliersgracht - apparently you can see 7 bridges
all at once. But maybe just from the water!

The handwarmers Tiger brought with her
were our saving grace today!

A wee hoosy in the Jewish Quarter than Rembrandt
used to live in (I think) - we stumbled on it by accident
today but did pass it on our canal cruise last night!

Koninklijk Paleis

The Royal Palace began life as a town hall and was completed in 1665.  Jacon van Campen spared no expense to display Amsterdam's wealth in a way that rivalled the grandest European buildings of the day.  Officially the Dutch king, Willem-Alexander lives here and pays a symbolic rent, though is actual residence is in Den Haag.

The great burgerzaal (citizens hall) occupies
the heart of the building, and is a schematic
of the world, with Amsterdam at its centre

Three massive marble worlds showed the influence
of the Netherlands during their Golden era.



The first monarch - Kinh Willem I (1772-1843) 
The Netherlands became a monarchy after the Napoleonic Wars,
when the European powers decided to establish a kingdom in
the region to stabilise the political landscape.
Napoleon's brother, Louis Bonaparte was installed as the
first King of Holland, effectively turning the previously
republican Dutch state into a kingdom to prevent futher
French influence.

Louis Bonaparte

View from the Grand Balcony, which Louis
added to the original building

Louis was dismissed 2-years later but he left behind about
1,000 pieces of Empire-style furniture and decorative
artworks.


The table that Queen Beatrix signed her abdication papers
on in 2013. 

And since we had the bikes, we travelled all the way out to a local food market Den Hallen for our tea.  The ride home in the dark proved... interesting... but I have to say, I would totally love to live in a city where bikes are the norm!

No comments: