Thursday, 9 July 2026

Love Long Distance

 For the first time ever, I think, I am actually sitting watching a Summer Meet final. 


This year both Lightning and Joey qualified for the Summer Meet (though by mistake Joey wasn't actually entered) and since for the first time we are actually here and not already in Europe, I figured I'd pay for the privilege of watching Lightning swim his 1500.

He's in the green skins

Okay okay, I spent 2.5 hours of the 3 hour session working, but still... I watched the most important 20 minutes!


And what a cracking heat he had - he powered through with a negative split (faster second half than first) and pulled back three places and was close to taking a fourth. Untill he got a stitch. I have never seen anyone pull up like he did - I actually thought before his final turn he was going to give up; you could see him look at the wall and debate whether to make the turn, but he carried on and finished. And still got a PB. So pretty disappointed, but also still pretty stoked at what he did manage.

No comments: