Friday, 20 January 2012

Oh Happy Day

Just got this photo from a friend.  It's from the day we went shelling at Lighthouse Beach on Sanibel Island in Florida last October:


I think it sums up our family pretty well...

It's Florida, so we are expecting sun but instead get rain.  We come from Texas and packed only hot weather clothes, already forgetting our Scottish heritage of taking rain gear wherever we go.  We see it's a rainy day but it won't stop us hitting the beach.

I see the rain and dreich sky and decide to put on long trousers, but don't think about the fact that we are going to a beach where there is water. When we arrive it really is wet, so thinking about how I can stay nice and warm and dry I borrow a poor loon's hat and oversized poncho from Disneyland.

The girls, regardless of the grey sky and incessant rain, strip and run naked to splash in the waves, playing happily in their own wee world.

Lightning, having leaked out of his nappy and ruining his trousers, enjoys the sea breeze, staring questioningly at the world around him  Attempting to protect him at least a bit from the rain we use the only brolly we have, the one from the buggy for the sun.

And the Don?  He is, just as he is.

Rain falls, sand sticks, children play, happy day.

1 comment:

Shirl said...

This is really inspriring. I am sure that your outlook actually contains the secret of happiness...