Friday, 25 May 2012

Oh Well

Went to the doctor today to get yet another prescription for yet another ear infections that Tiger seems to have.  As usual the prescription flies through cyber space without me ever seeing it, and thirty minutes later I drive-thru' Walgreens to pick it up.  Seven dollars it costs me: not a great deal I grant you, but as I was sitting there waiting for it, I suddenly thought "...but we've got prescription insurance (or whatever it's called). How come I'm paying anything?"  Which, I'm quite please was exactly the same thing the Don asked me when I was retelling him the story.  We're clearly still a bit naive as to how this whole paying for health care and health insurance works...

Anyway, when the guy appears with the antibiotics I check that he has our insurance details on file and follow up with: "So how much would this cost if we didn't have insurance?"

"103 dollars and 29 cents," he replies.

"Okaaay then..."

Thank you insurance, for saving us $96.29.  Saying that, I think we pay more than that every month just to have the insurance in the first place.
I miss the NHS.

No comments: