Friday, 22 February 2019

Waitin' on a (specific) Plane

Ever since Lightning got a Lego City volcano set thing for his Christmas (I think it was two or three years ago), Joey has been eyeing up the Lego City plane and airport set that is advertised on the back of one of the volcano instruction manuals.  Lego set 60104 he is very quick to point out. He came across this manual during the summer again and became quite vocal about how he really, really wanted this set, and added it to his birthday and Christmas list, by number.

Fair enough, I finally thought, he's been after it long enough and he does love planes and trains and anything that moves, so it'll make a good birthday present and be something he's really thrilled with.  Until I discovered that Lego model 60104 no longer seems to exit, and the only options for buying it I could find were second hand and about £200.

So for a while we tried to shift his interest to electric trains or something, explaining Lego don't make the 60104 plane any more, whilst also checking out Gumtree and various other second hand sites.  Eventually the Don found a bigger Lego plane and airport set down in Montrose for only 40 quid - basically exactly the same as the one we'd seen, but bigger and red and though clearly older still very cheap for Lego.  Total result!  And sure enough Joey was a very happy boy on his birthday morning, except, being Joey, who is always woe is me couldn't help but mention "It's not the blue one.  But I still like it."  

Whatever child.

Anyway, he and I walk into Strachans (our local toy cum everything store) this afternoon to run a couple of errands on our way to the library to meet the others, and what does he discover on the top of their Lego shelves?

THREE blinkin' Lego City 60104 sets for sale!

Which if course he's now coveting and planning to spend his birthday money on.  But it's the same as the one you already have, I say.  Actually, it's smaller than the one you now have, with a smaller airport terminal and smaller plane and less other bits and bobs.  "But it's the blue one mum" i.e. the one I actually want and woe is me life isn't fair because it's a red one I have when actually it was the blue one I wanted even if the blue one is smaller and the red one is bigger and better.

Boy oh boy he's going to have problems in later life!!  Though you can't knock his single-mindedness.

No comments: