Monday, 9 March 2015

Flight of Icarus

We saw this!!  The actual plane. Flying.

Okay, so it's not that exciting, except it was pretty cool.  We were almost at school making our way straight up the E22 when what looked like a glider came in to view. I pointed it out to the kids, who are plane obsessed because it's normally fighter jets that we see zooming over the school or practising in the distance, so we all had a good gawk, while obviously still keeping our eyes on the road.  It was going so slowly, hence thinking it was a glider, and only when we got up close and it was pretty much right over our heads that we saw the front propellers.  And then I came home and read this over my morning cuppa (yes I do finally read [limited] news thanks to the free paper that gets thrown on our doorstep every morning.  Except I obviously don't read it that well or often since I didn't know that it was taking off today).  But still, pretty cool to see it as clearly as we did.  All thanks to a bad accident and traffic jam further down the 22 which held us up for ten minutes.

Apparently the wings are the span of a jumbo jet's, but the plane only weighs 2.5 tonnes which is the weight of your average family car.  I'm sure you'll all be waiting with baited breath till I let you know when it lands again in July after a successful round the world trip ;)

2 comments:

AFG said...

You know what, I also saw that on the news and thought of you.

super sonia said...

Thanks! It's hard to know whether what goes on here actually affects the rest of the world....