| Luqaimat |
Sadly it's not something I can just pop to a supermarket and buy (I don't think - at least I haven't yet looked seeing as I've only just discovered them), and although I could potentially make them myself, I think being given home-made ones makes them oh so much better.
Luqaimat is basically a sweet, crunchy dumpling and one of the most popular desserts made during the Holy month of Ramadan. The Emirati family that lives across the street has brought us round a dish of them for iftar for the last couple of nights, and they are wonderful with their creamy, cheesy insides and date syrup on top. They're kinda like the Dampfnudel that Oma used to make us in years gone by - kinda sweet but eaten as a savoury dish with a wonderful golden crust on the bottom and a lovely soft, chewy, doughy dough on top - but bite size and filled and and sweeter. MMmmmmm.
This evening we responded in turn with some thank you pictures drawn by the girls and a tin of Dean's Scottish shortbread brought back from Scotland at Easter for just such an occasion. But if they continue to ply us with luqaimat (which I do hope they will) I'm not entirely too sure how to repay all that kindness... I don't think Mars Bar Krispies, which are one of my specialities, have quite the same breaking of fast quality!
3 comments:
Maybe just as well Ramadan has a soon-coming end-date, otherwise ........!!
Bring on the Dampfnudel!
Bring on the Dampnudel!
Post a Comment