Wednesday, 9 September 2015

Don't Mind If I Don't

What a difference it makes to my mind doing only one school run.  I actually enjoyed my first trip of the day on Sunday afternoon...

We've decided that with the increased price of petrol (up by 20% in August!) and scary frequency of my fill ups, the fact that all the kids are now at the same school, and that his A/C is finally now working, the Don is gonna do more in the way of school runs.  Yipee!

Since Monday he has been on the 4am shift at work, so apart from Sunday when he worked 8am-6pm and therefore took the kids in to school and I did the pick up, he has collected them every afternoon from the classroom and playground.  It definitely means my mornings are a touch more fraught with getting the kids up and dressed and breakfasted and out the door with everything they require while looking presentable enough myself to walk Lightning in to class, but then, for the rest of the day... it's just.  been.  wonderful.  No need to worry about when Joey will fit in his nap before we have to head out again (especially if we were already out in the morning), no having to get dressed once again in school appropriate clothes after wearing 'house clothes' to build a storage unit and clear up years of dusty paperwork, plenty of time to have a dance party when we find an old kids CD amongst said paperwork... [see video for those that receive this by email which doesn't, for some reason, include videos)


Okay so the dance party we would have done anyway, but at the time the Don had taken the older three straight to the dentist after school which gave Joey and I hours of time to just, plain, waste.  We were revelling in the fact that I wasn't having to keep four children quiet, obedient, entertained and respectful after a long day in school being quietish, obedient, entertaining and respectful.

My new found joy at all the hours in the day even found me at the pool at 8.30am this morning (sans school run) doing laps while Joe happily played catch-the-tennis ball with the lifeguard.  I reckon I'm gonna try going twice a week, but then we all know how motivated I am to exercise.

Anyway, I know these idyllic afternoons probably won't last past next week when once again the Don is outside, so I'm making the most of them while I can.  After 15th September there will no longer be any legal requirement to have a midday break (although they may still through October), but I reckon I can enjoy the Don doing the morning run just as much.... I'll get much longer in my pyjamas for one thing, and I'm often most productive in my jammies.  Mark my words.

No comments: