Tuesday, 29 September 2015

Sleep's Dark and Silent Gate

And... it's back up.

I'm not sure if Joey is going through that common 2-year old night terror stage, or whether it's just something else totally, but I'm exhausted from his night screamings and wanderings.

In the last week and a half he has woken up every. single. night.  And I know I know that's no strange thing when you're nursing a baby, but my baby is now over two and a half and I, therefore, am now used to sleeping through the night (even if it's not often a very long night).

The first few nights he woke up screaming from his bed.  And although he did go back to sleep, either when I brought him through to our bed or when I lay down beside him, I never went back to sleep knowing my alarm was going off the back of 6.  And Lightning never back to sleep either (he is a morning bird anyway, but 5am doesn't work for anyone when they have a full day of school ahead of them) and instead spent an hour complaining he was hungry, or needed to pee, or questioning whether it was morning yet and time to get up...

A few other nights Joey didn't bother screaming but just came through to our room, and however many times I put him back he just kept on-a-coming.  One night I gave up and slept in his bed till morning, leaving him in ours.

Twice this week he's also woken up crying for the toilet.  I mean I am, obviously, thrilled that he knows when he needs to pee and doesn't just wet the bed, but his bladder has managed to hold it all night for the last month, so why is it suddenly refusing now?

Maybe it's the cold (which the Don thinks is rediculous, and with lows of 28C at night I see his point), because I have actually started feeling chilly come the early hours of the morning, and I even put my wooly socks back on last night.  

Any which way, the stair gate might not stop the screaming, but should at least stop the wanderings.  And maybe pychologically it'll stop the waking too. Here's to hoping anyway!

No comments: