For this past week Radio 2 have been running a competition along with Costa Coffee to highlight our little moments of happiness. Costa have just introduced six new cakes to their range, and each day have been giving away a hamper of goodies worth 500 dirhams to the one person who has the best (or something) little happy moment story.
Which got me thinking....
I have many, many little happy moment in my day. I often seem to have many more tear my hair out, grit my teeth in frustration, curl up in a ball and sob, give up and just sit down, find a room without any kids and close the door, moments in my day. But on the whole I really do lead a very happy and contented life, especially during the day when I only have one child at home ;) Which I was actually thinking about this very morning as Joey and I were cycling to the swimming pool after I'd been at the hairdressers. Cycling along, Joey singing away behind me, 10am, and we were off to swim laps (me) and play with our own personal 'manny' (male nanny - honestly, the lifeguard seems to love entertaining Joey with balls and hoops and making ramps for his cars while I do my swimming). This life sure beats sitting in an office all day, beats wearing office clothes, beats dealing with rush hour madness. Of course there's no pay check at the end of the day...
So anyway, as I was driving to school I then heard this Costa competition on the radio, and thought of my little happy moments. I also thought I'd quite like to win a 500 dirham Costa hamper, but realistically, who ever messages in to these shows? Who can message in to them since it's probably in the car that you're hearing them? Also, I never seem to be around at the conclusion of them because by then I'm inside the school for pick up, or back home again dealing with homework. And, I'm always 'exactly' on time, so even if I got to school and decided to text in my answer then, I don't have time to because then I'd be late.
Anyway, the thought that immediately came to me when I heard the competition (and the Don won't believe me because I am not a music lover per se. In fact, most often when he turns music up in the car, the house, anywhere really, I struggle not to turn it down again, because really in my mind it's just noise added to noise that the kids are already making, and therefore not enjoyable) is when I'm on one of my endless school runs and suddenly some song comes on the radio that just totally triggers a memory: singing karaoke with flatmates at a student, dancing in a nightclub when you were underage, humming to your baby to get them to fall asleep, that frequently played song on your favourite TV show, a rocking concert you once went to... it could be anything. And usually I couldn't tell you the title or the artist. But it immediately just makes you remember, makes you smile, and so you turn it up, turn it w-a-y up and ignore the squabbing in the back seats, ignore the baby whining about not liking that song, ignore the humdrum of life, and sing along as loud as you can.
I'm thinking it's being in control of the button that makes music enjoyable to me.
1 comment:
I totally thought you were going to say you'd texted in and won the hamper! Anyway, "dancing underage in a nightclub". Tell me more!!
Post a Comment