Sunday, 24 January 2016

Burnin' Love

Actually, today I took some of the leftover haggis in to school to feed to Toots's class.

It's International Week at school and so I volunteered to go in to both girls' class to read them each a Scottish story.  I totally only remembered about the haggis at the last minute, and quickly grabbed our copy of Hamish the Hairy Haggis to read before dishing it out (and after the proper story about the Scottish Kelpie - which tied in rather nicely to their mythical creatures topic me thought). Anyway, the kids loved it.  The haggis.

I was really, really, surprised, as was their teacher who commented on the number of boys that were usually so loathe to taste new things and were wolfing the haggis down, asking for seconds, which I didn't have, and finishing off those bowls that still had scraps in them.  Maybe it was the spices, maybe it was because they didn't/don't actually know what haggis is made of (no worse than a hot dog is what I always say), or maybe it's because half the class were not 'western' (the Ecuadorian was the only one that enjoyed it yesterday - said it reminded him of dishes back home!), who knows... but I'll remember that for next year!


No comments: