Tuesday, 2 February 2016

Got A Job

It certainly wasn't as complicated, nor as official, nor did it require as high a qualification as AunTia's new job (no benefits or subsidised cafes in this one either - just long-life milk in the fridge which I'm seriously going to have to do something about), but I also just had my first day of work in oooooh, well over seven [eight and a half, really] years.  No that's not fair, my current work never ends, so was today my first day of paid work?  No, I get paid all the time too *cough* in love, and hugs, and increase in intelligence and thankfulness for a good lunch and even sometimes just plain stroppyness.

Today was my first day of paid work outside the home I suppose.  Except I've been shadowing/doing this job for the last few weeks so I've had the stresses that go along with it for the last few weeks too.  But today I could actually walk out of there and know I'd just earned x amount of money.  Which was, I have to say, somewhat satisfying.  Until I realised how easy it is to theoretically spend the amount that I just theoretically received.  So just as well it's not about the money then.  It's not really about anything other than the job actually, since a few days before I was offered it I said quote unquote, I never plan on working [outside the home] again.  Which I still don't.  Not really.

Anyway my job is at the church on-island where we attend Awana, and it's as the new Awana Commander for the club that is run there.  The Commander position isn't what the Commander position was in Midland, but covers everything I'm assuming the Commander did, almost all of what the T&T and Sparks Directors did, and pretty much all of what the two/three Secretaries did.  Plus everything that all the Cubbies Director and leaders did, except for actually lead on the night.   Which only means something if you have been to an Awana Club.  If you haven't, in theory it's basically running a very structured, organised and supported programme for 150-200 kids with 30 volunteers. In practice the club consists of probably about twenty different nationalities, a dozen languages and a plethora of child raising methods, and is run in a place where very few people live long-term, many people travel frequently and for long periods, and there is nothing like a Target or Dollar Tree to stock up the store.  And I have my three-year old 'helping' me at all times except for during the actual club.

So there'll be lots of challenges, lots of added stress, a lot more family organisation needed, lots of fun, lots of opportunity, lots of putting myself out there and meeting new people (which I do not like to do), very little quiet-at-home-me-time (which I do like), lots of driving back and forth, and lots of time wondering when I'm ever going to get my grocery shopping done and how much longer I can really pack lunches for with nothing in the cupboard.

I know, I know... "Welcome to my world!" I hear all you working mothers shout at me ;)

2 comments:

AFG said...

Welcome indeed! I, for one, have no doubt that you'll manage the work-life balance amazingly.

Blondefish said...

Ditto!