Friday, 6 May 2016

Best Places To Be A Mom

Yesterday we celebrated Al Israa Wal Miraaj in the UAE.  No idea what that is?  Neither did we, but it meant a day off school for the kids and a day off work for the Don, so we weren't complaining.

This long weekend family and friends also 'celebrated' Cinco de Mayo in Texas, various mayoral, local council and Parliamentary Elections in the UK, and of course it was Star Wars Day in a galaxy far, far away.

The girls and I used our long weekend to celebrate US Mother's Day, which technically is only going to be on Sunday, but quite frankly is close enough.  I do think about celebrating it in March when everyone else in the UK does, but to be honest it always comes upon us so quickly, so it's easier to remember in March to remember to plan something for May.

Anyway, thanks to a mistake in my late online booking, and a long wait at check in due to it being a holiday weekend, we got a free buffet dinner (and they cost a fair bit here) and free upgrade to a room with two double beds.  TWO. DOUBLE. BEDS.  Doesn't sound like much when you're used to doing things the Texan way, but my Middle-East-and-European-travelling-American-friends now know that that is NOT normal.  And definitely something to write home about.  In fact, so trendy was the hotel that there was even one of those large Fatboy beanbags in one corner of the room, and a fair sized padded bench on another wall, so I was close to calling up the Don and suggesting all of us just stay the night.  I mean how often is there space for all six of us to sleep a single room nowadays??

Of course I didn't.

No comments: