Sunday, 26 March 2017

And We Run

Another cracking start today - which is I'm sure is totally to do with the fact that British Summer Time began last night [ha!] - and today was all about Run Garioch.


The local sports centre, just across the playing fields from our house, has hosted a bunch of runs every March for the last nine years - a half marathon, a 10k, a 5k, a 5k wheelchair race and three different age-related children's races.  I can honestly say I was never aware of the event when we lived in the town before but apparently it's the thing to do.  The Don signed up for the 10k run ten weeks ago with a cracking plan to train, but, well, you know, 'life' got in the way.  So I also signed up the kids for their age-appropriate races, and then it was just a case of waiting.  And waiting.  And talking about it (Joey), and waiting.

The only preparation the Don did.
Seriously.


In the melee somewhere....

And while the Don was running exhaustedly up hill and down dale and wishing he had in fact perhaps done more 'training' than just play 7-aside football twice in the last two months, the kids were having a blast in the glorious weather.  I mean as you can see we still had our jumpers on - the morning was nippy despite the sun - but by afternoon they were all down to shorts and t-shirts too.  Me, I was still quite comfortable in my two tops, jacket and scarf, and in merely spectating.



A not too shabby time of 1:02:56 considering he was
relying fully on exercise done many years ago.


After a quick wonderfully grilled sausage bap from the local butcher's stall it was time for the kids to go.



Boys up first in the 4-6 year old group.  No idea how far they ran, but I think it was around 500m.  Or maybe 400.  Or 6?  Any-which-way, they had a blast.


So much so that we never even saw Joey run past us.  Concerned that when Lightning raced off at the start (being older and quicker) Joey just stopped and gave up, we were about to search out an official to find out what would have happened to him, but there he was at the finish-line collecting his goody bag and wanting to go again.

Lighting: 0:03:37
Joey: 0:04:37

Then time for the girls who were racing in the 7-9 year old race which was a kilometer.


Totally missed her approach.
Toots: 0:05:23

Tiger: 0:06:32

Team Boyd

It was an absolutely cracking day in every sense of the word.

Win 'em and wear 'em baby!

No comments: