Did I ever tell you the story of how the kids think we get to school? I have a feeling I did... but maybe not.
Way back at the end of last term sometime, a survey was given out to the kids on how they get to and from school. I think it was Toots that came home and told me about it that day - she being the most likely to tell me about her day and any form/letter/information that's given out. When I asked her what she wrote down she said "car". CAR!?! I thought. No! Not because we never take the car - we do - but I'm sure we don't take it the most, though in fairness I think we had used it pretty much all of that week, so I guess she was honest as ever. Anyway, over the next few days I asked Tiger, who said we walked, and Lightning, who said we cycled, so overall they did get a pretty accurate record of our family's travel-to-school habits.
Anyway, at the end of last term after the snow left us with bitterly wind and rain, I was pretty done in and fed up, as were the kids, and so we drove up and down to school most days. But at the same time I thought it would be really interesting to see over the course of the whole year how we actually do, which I reckon will be pretty even stevens.
So this week, with the start of a new term, we've done it:
Nothing fancy, just tally marks, but definitely a piece of paper that has guilted me into walking a couple of times this week already. No, that's not true, I always have the intention of walking both to and from school (except for a Monday morning when I head out of town straight after drop off, and a Wednesday evening when we rush straight to activities), so it's more that the paper stuck on the door stops me from giving up the walking maybe... Or at least it did until Friday morning, when quite frankly the clock hit 8am and I was still struggling to get out of bed and in the shower. And if I don't start harassing the kids to get dressed and by 8:15 be downstairs eating their breakfast (or have finished their breakfast and be back upstairs by 8:15 getting dressed) so we can leave the house by 8:35, there's no way we'll be walking. Of course come the nicer weather we can leave at 8:45am on our bikes and still make it on time, so we'll see what the year brings.
At least once a week I do walk past Strathburn Primary on our way to Kellands and think "If only...."
No comments:
Post a Comment