To take up the challenge and keep on #VirtuallyCamping we had to follow some "Rules":
- Pack a bag
- Build a den in the home / pitch a tent in the garden or house / hang up a hammock (whatever you can)
- Sleep in a shelter of your choice
- Build a 'campfire' (real or virtual)
- Take part in a "Scouty activity"
- Help with cooking a meal
Each young person who took part would also be entitled to a 1 Night away for each night they participated (so long as they weren't sleeping in their bed), which adds to their Nights Away badge (or something like that). Everyone who participated would also get a Virtual Certificate for joining in, and if we took part last night we could be part of setting a world record.
And so we did. Though when I say "we", I obviously mean the Don and four kids. Me, I slept very well in my own bed.
This is the tent we ended up erecting:
We had grand plans for getting the tent set up outside and building a campfire, but the Don only got home after 7 after an exhausting week putting folks 'At Risk of Redundancy' so was in no physical or mental state to camp, so inside camp we did. And I have to say, I haven't lost my touch at indoor blanket den building...
All four kids opted to sleep in our 'tent': they lit a virtual camp fire, the Don read them stories, they told some more stories round the fire, and by all accounts were asleep by 10:30pm. Or maybe 11... Me, I savoured a King bed all to myself and totally wasted what was left of the evening by Marco Poloing and watching This is Us until after midnight.
Now I just need to remember to post the evidence somewhere so we can be included in the world record count!
*Update: 82,000 participants camped out (or in) worldwide which is a new world record
No comments:
Post a Comment