Monday, 4 May 2020

I'm Gonna Show You Crazy

Evidence fatigue.  It's a very real thing.  Or at least, after iChum coined it late Saturday night, I have decided it is absolutely a very real thing that should be named.

I was thinking quite a lot last week about how I am actually really quite enjoying lock down.  I'm not saying I'm not sometimes bored, or often frustrated at all the school work we're supposed to get through each week and the fact that the three younger kids can't seem to do much of it without some sort of input from me which is usually expected or demanded all at the same time, or fed up with feeding six people three meals a day, or totally over being wary of picking anything up in a supermarket for fear I'll have to put it down again because actually I don't want it but now no one else will pick it up if they've seen I've put it back down again, or they'll judge me for touching it and not keeping it even if they don't want it themselves.  But on the whole, I'm really enjoying lock down, or maybe it's just the way my mind works in that I forget the bad stuff and only remember the good (otherwise there is no way I'd have birthed four children naturally).  I'm especially enjoying not making up an hourly schedule every Friday evening so that everyone knows exactly where they're supposed to be and what they're supposed to be doing and at what time over the course of the weekend - and believe you me we all rely on that schedule to make sure things aren't missed.  I'm also enjoying eating later and having time to sit after tea and just chat round the table as a family, rather than one parent or another and at least one child if not more than one rushing off to one or multiple activities.

However, the one thing I am finding really time consuming and really quite time-binding is Evidence: evidence of actual school work attempted, evidence of school work completed, evidence of daily school challenges; evidence of weekly school cooking challenges; evidence of Cubs and Boys Brigade badge work; evidence of ballet practice and clarsach playing and healthy meals cooked and miles cycled and hours doing pilates and ... and ... and ...  I can literally spend an hour a day taking photos and downloading them and editing them and uploading them to the different platforms that require them: Google Classrooms and Microsoft Teams and Online Scout Manager and Facebook and Zoom and Strava and Training Peaks and ... and ... and ...

Roll on summer holidays, that's all I can say.

No comments: