Barra Hill is, in fact, a remarkable example of an Iron Age fort. Archaeological excavations have uncovered four prior phases of human activity on the hill: 1) early Prehistoric, 2) Neolithic to mid Iron Age, 3) late Prehistoric, 4) Pictish and Medieval. The slopes of the hill also show evidence of pre-modern rig and furrow farming practice. Historical accounts also suggest that the Earl of Comyn's supporters camped on the hill-top in May 1308 before their bloody rout the next day at the hands of Robert the Bruce's kinsmen, during Bruce's savage military campaign to take over the kingship of Scotland.
| View back towards Old Meldrum |
| The three grass-covered levels of tiered earth and stone ramparts - totally forgot to take a a picture earlier when it was clearer! |
We also got slightly lost coming down the other side, but whatever... through the fields we went and eventually made it back to Barra Castle and a hot cuppa!
*And I know because not only was I on the morning swim run, but I agreed to meet a friend for a walk to help her train for her walking marathon - 11k we managed in 1h 45m, all the way up to the standing stones and back from the community centre, which I don't think was bad at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment