It might have taken us 6 hours from the initial picnic start, to travel the mere 4km from Kemnay Bridge to Shakkin' briggie, but what a fun 6 hours! Kayak, SUP, swim, wade, scramble, fall, hike... It wasn't always bonnie, and sometimes it got pretty darned cold, but it was super great fun, and in some parts I was laughing so much I cried.
Everyone (bar me - who pretty much stayed in the kayak) did superbly well. I reckon each of the kids (except maybe Lightning who didn't have a wetsuit, but who did still manage a good long while playing in the water anyway and scrambling over a particularly shallow rocky part when two of us in the kayak were too heavy) swam at least a kilometer of the river. Tiger and iChum definitely doubled that, thanks in most part to the puncture of one of the kayaks half way through the trip, which basically meant it had to be towed the rest of the journey, which in turn led to some interesting jack-knifing around the rocks!

| The end is in sight! |
| Costa del Rurie - who only keeps their bikinis for Spain?! |
Anyway, what a fabulous day out.
Now apparently my kids, who love a tradition (I mean, who can blame them), have declared we will do this the first Thursday of every summer holiday from now on. Whether Toots will join us next time, or stay at home again spending the afternoon reading in the sun, remains to be seen!





No comments:
Post a Comment