Wednesday, 23 February 2011

A Lot To Learn About Livin'

A few things I've discovered in the last week about the States, Texas and myself:
  • Girl Guides do seem to sell their cookies at every corner, and they really taste quite good.
  • Calling streets just by their 'first' names, like "it's on Edgemont, Wadley, Midkiff or the Loop", or talking about things on "the corner of Midland and Wadley", is really easy to get into the habit of, and really nice.
  • West Texans are incredibly friendly.
  • Apparently we have "...the cutest daughters".
  • Having two toddlers that talk just mean they can now argue verbally as well as physically fight.  It's tiring.
  • Toblerone still tastes good with a rubbishy cup of tea.  Most disappointingly, a Cadbury's Creme Egg doesn't.
  • PAYG mobiles have stupid rules here, and I get charged to receive calls as well as make them.
  • It's quite refreshing to not compost or recycle anything and instead throw everything straight in the trash (though the Don did just come home yesterday and inform me that most supermarkets recycle, so guess we'd better start again :(
  • Cheerios and Coco Krispies (Cocopops) taste different: not as nice.
  • A clean house makes me happy.  Feeling like a house isn't clean makes me unhappy.  Knowing I could do something about the unclean house but a) not wanting to, b) knowing if I do I'll be using a crutch for a week, and c) knowing cleaners are coming but aren't coming yet, makes me miserable.
  • roads are w i d e, and you can't always tell where the middle line is - in fact, a lot of the time the middle lane is for cars from both directions waiting to turn across traffic.  All a bit confusing.
  • As is the speed limit, which either isn't shown or seems to change randomly every few hundred meters.
  • Trucks are B I G.  So are Suburbans.  And a surprisingly high number are white.
Speaking of which, when we picked up Aunty Fona from the airport yesterday the Don also picked up a second car.  I don't know if it was because he spoke with a British accent, or if he just looked rather dashing in his work attire, but when he asked for a small car her was given a Ford Mustang.

 Whitening McQueen

Think he quite likes it ;)

1 comment:

Fiona said...

I bet Tessa LOVES the car!
Morrisons' own coco pops and cheerios are pretty rubbish too so I know how you feel!