So last night I make my first home cooked meal: spaghetti bolognaise. We only bought pots, pans, a sharp knife and chopping board the day before, and finally did a food shop yesterday, remembering to buy a tin opener but forgetting the carrot peeler. Anyway, as usual a fine home cooked fayre was presented to Toots and Tiger. Toots ploughs in high on the promise of home made raspberry jelly and ice cream for dessert; Tiger sits and stares at it with her thumb in her mouth. For some reason Toots looses steam after about 5 mouthfuls, and sullenly refuses to eat any more. These are children that haven't eaten since breakfast. Fifteen minutes later, both are in bed, and at least one of them is sound asleep. I sit down with a cup of tea and eat my way through two Cadbury's Creme Eggs. Pretty much the same as in Britain then!
The shop we went to for our food though - a home bake (like myself) lover's delight. Row after row after row of glistening donuts and croissants and cakes all "...freshly baked in store today." Now, if only they could have had a decent cafe...
Anyway, as we were walking up and down the aisles a strange little yellow and red bottle, not unlike BabyBio for plants, catches my eye: it's a bottle of Maggi Wurtz, a German seasoning. As I look closer I realise the whole section of shelving is German foods, including Salat Kronung, German ketchup, Leibniz biscuits and even spatzle. And next to this shelf: THE BRITISH ONE!! One, two, three tins of tomato soup go into our trolley, a pack of PG Tips, some Jaffa Cakes... they even have Tate and Lyle's Golden Syrup so my days of baking Mars Bar Krispies is not over! They have digestives (though not McVities), Hob Nobs, Yorkie bars, custard creams, even clotted cream, all at ridiculously inflated prices. Still, I allowed myself to buy everything I want (including imported Lurpack unsalted butter) - one needs a few home treats their first week away from home. Next week (and $400 poorer) though, we're gonna have to go 'local'.
1 comment:
So, hows the local shop gone this week?
I'm eating oreos and thinking of you :)
Post a Comment