I tell you, last kids are something special.
Two mornings ago I walk in to the kitchen to discover Joey searching in the utensil drawer for a knife to cut up the plum that he helped himself to from the fridge.
This morning I come downstairs and see that he's managed to put a Fireman Sam DVD in by himself, and choose the right channel to play the DVD - no mean feat when you have six different input options.
Lightning is similar in his desire just to get on and do things, or find out how something works and then get on and work it; screwdrivers, the car sound system, hair-dryers, the electric cake mixer... His curiosity and ability knows no end. Which is totally different from the girls: not in terms of ability -Toots could work the DVD player from two as well - just that they're always more inclined to ask for permission.
Is it because they are boys? Is it because they are younger and see their older siblings do things? Am I more relaxed about letting them do things I'd maybe have stopped the girls from doing or insisted they asked permission for? Am I not around as much to see them do the things I'd not have let the girls do (that's a definite!): pour a glass of milk from a full gallon bottle; climb on top of the dresser to change the CD; find a suitable screwdriver and the right sized batteries to make the remote control car work again; use kitchen scissors to open a lollypop that they discovered (which also happened this morning while I was unaware)...
Who knows, but I dread to think of some of the things that might take place in the future, as much as I look forward to finding out!
1 comment:
Maybe a little bit of both? I've made a point to show James how to get Netflix going because sometimes I want someone besides me to be able to do something for them!
Post a Comment