Tuesday, 10 January 2017

Never Ending Circles

So the container came*.  But the internet didn't.  And didn't.  And didn't.  And despite countless assurances and absolute promises we still don't have internet in our house, more than four weeks after we moved in.  I will not bore you with the incredibly frustrating account of our last month dealing with the utterly useless British Telecom, but suffice to say they are absolutely useless and we are hair-pullingly, wall-punchingly frustrated.

In the last month I've also learned that phone signal is not anywhere near great in our granite-walled house, (perhaps as a result?!?) my computer is refusing to pick up my phone's Personal Hotspot and the 'free' Wi-Fi spots around this town aren't so hot either.  All-in-all I've been left unable to blog (and it's not like in this past month nothing has happened and there's been nothing to blog about, you know?!?), and two nights ago I decided that maybe that was partly why I have been finding this move back to Scotland one of the hardest moves I've made.  It's been far harder than our first move to a new continent at 6 months pregnant and with a two and three year old; and the move at 8 months pregnant, two weeks before Christmas, with another three kids five and under, into a house with major plumbing issues; and the single-parenting move half way around the world with four school-age kids three days before Christmas.

Of course losing my dad, basically unexpectedly, played a big part emotionally. But before then being a move forced upon us as opposed to being our choice was a struggle, and since then the weather, the cold, the housing uncertainty, the disheartening unpacking and most definitely now not having the internet again (I admit: it's my therapy) I have struggled with.  So thank you God for old friends and warm houses and borrowed wifi and kids that attend the same school.  They are actually due back here very soon and so I've run out of time, but I will be making a real effort over the next few weeks (please make it only a few weeks!!) to back-post our life since we moved in to Netherfield.  So keep scrolling down...!  Just maybe not today.


* Well, when I say it came, it did, but it came minus many an essential screws but with crushed carpets, broken lamp shades, badly packed crockery and packing that has given us no end of problems in the last month.  Just as well we have a hardware store in town and an IKEA online who give free replacement screws, that's all I can say.

1 comment:

Brittney Galloway said...

Ack. I'm sorry. No internet can be a very limiting feeling. Isolating even. I miss you and "hearing"'your voice on here so when you can return you have a ready audience!