Toots has spent all this week up at Inverurie Academy for her Transition Week. This is the first year that they've spent a full week in the academy for Transition, and because all the other years have moved up already, they can pretty much experience their S1 timetable for the whole week.
By all accounts she's absolutely loved it, and I've loved not needing to pick her up from the pool at 8am Monday-Wednesday (she can walk straight to the academy from the pool after training). I've also loved that she now has a phone and have made much use of her being contactable with plenty "can you pick me up ... from the Coop on the way home [and don't forget your 10% Young Scot discount!]" and "change of plan, we're now doing x so you'll need to do y". Toots, herself, has not been fussed by the phone at all, and only checks for messages when we remind her to do so. I know, I know, I'm sure that will change very quickly...
Anyway, this evening we had the second of our 'new S1' parent meetings and part of this one included a tour of the school. Toots has been saying that it's really confusing and there are stairs everywhere, but because we're in there for church every Sunday I felt like I was quite comfortable with it.
Ha!
It's totally different being comfortable with the Academy and surrounding classrooms, and Dining Hall and surrounding classrooms, compared to being comfortable around the rest of the school. It's a warren! And a very old one that's clearly not had much love for the past few years. What made it harder for me, and I usually have a very good sense of direction and of knowing where I am, is that you can't really see outside of the building, so you can't even orientate yourself by seeing West High Street, the church, community centre of playing fields.
But nae fear, this Victorian era academy, which amalgamated with the neighbouring primary school in 1909 and had new extensions in the 50s, 60s and 80s, will be replaced by next Easter with our shining new all-singing, all-dancing, and hopefully easier to navigate, Inverurie Community Campus. Lucky Tiger moving straight into that one!
No comments:
Post a Comment