Thursday, 1 December 2022

All We Need Is an Island

Our new kitchen island was delivered today, and I am so excited by it.


I've wanted one for ages, but when we first talked about extending the kitchen (four years ago) the kitchen was already too old to get matching units for an island. I decided to design exactly what I wanted anyway and picked contrasting units, but then since we decided not to start with the work, the designs were filed away.

Four years later and there was obviously still no chance of finding matching units, but I did now know a joiner that specialised in furniture, who had not only already built us a wonderful floor to ceiling book case in our spare room but created a beautiful oak mantle for the living room.  And what was even cooler about getting someone we knew to build it, was that we could ask him to work out how to use our old kitchen table as the counter top.  Of course that totally restricted how big the island could actually be, but honestly, it's wonderful, I'm so chuffed with the table top. 

Of course I'll still need to give the pine a quick lick of paint, and wait for the kitchen floor to ever be finally finished (if you ever get the option, do not pick an even vaguely stone floor) and then of course I'll have to decide on bar stools (so probably after Christmas by the time they get delivered)... but then...  

Can't wait!

No comments: