So, firstly, many apologies for the lack of emails and blog posts and general contact over the last few weeks. I've been laid out with the beginnings of mastitis and the resulting aches and pains all over and thumping headaches and a bad fever both last Saturday and Sunday and also for the last three days. Last weekend I got over it pretty quickly but this time, boy... three days of lying in bed and no food and I'm still not hungry and still want to just lie down. And having a fever: not sure I've ever had a fever as an adult, or I certainly can't remember, but it's over 40 degrees outside and I've been using a duvet doubled over plus a sheet to sleep under. For half the night anyway. The other half of the night I'm throwing off half the duvet, or both parts of the duvet, or the whole duvet and the sheet, then two minutes later pulling them all back on again, including my socks and a long sleeved top. It's not been fun. Anyway,
3-5,000mg of Vitamin C a day, bed rest, plenty of feeding the baby, three days in pyjamas and lots of liquid seem to be picking me up a bit. Also being able to finally watch the 'missing' Netflix episodes of Grey's Anatomy when I've managed to drag myself from the bed to the sofa.
Just as well Oma is here though and it's a weekend so the Don is home!
The kids, our home and I have all been well cared for :)
Speaking of being too hot and too cold though, I never really appreciated before this baby how much of a hot-water bottle the little beings inside us are. I don't think I ever felt particularly warm during pregnancy, though I do know that many women do, and because I've never been pregnant in really hot weather like here before I wasn't really aware of being any 'hotter' than normal. Until a few weeks ago anyway. Pre birth I barely slept with the sheet over me, needing the cool air that came from the air conditioning and ceiling fan - which is how the girls sleep quite happily too. Post birth and the sheet is usually up to my shoulders and around 5am every morning for some reason I feel cold and want to put some socks on. It only just dawned on me one evening when I was holding Lightning and was absolutely roasting just sitting there, that that was what it would have been like when he was inside - totally toasting up my body. And since he was out, there was nothing to give me any heat and keep me warm during the night. I know I know pretty simple thought and one everyone probably says 'duh of course' to, but it's funny how the reality of things can suddenly hit you.
Anyway, since I'm now online for a short while I'll give you a quick update of our week. I'll even throw in blog titles as if I actually posted them individually. I don't have the mental or physical energy to post them individually though.
TUESDAY, 21 JUNE 2011
A Dream Come True
Crisp Tesco smoked bacon on buttered white toast slathered in tomato ketchup. And a cup o' tea.
Mm mm mmmmm.
WEDNESDAY, 22 JUNE 2011
Crown of Creation
Back to the dentist I went to get my temporary crown (a LOT of pain the temporary one caused me, a L O T) replaced with the real deal. And actually, it wasn't so bad. And it feels quite good. And looks quite good too.
However, as usual I had an hour of waiting before being seen so there wasn't enough time before needing to get home and feed Lightening again for my crown replacement and the full set of x-rays and check-up that I was due, so I'm booked in again on Tuesday for that. Will I ever be finished with that place??!?! At least the dental nurse now understands I'm nursing and can only hang around for two hours tops. Anyway, I've booked my appointment on Tuesday for 8am in the hope that being the first appointment of the day I can actually get seen at 8. Chances...?
Speaking of feeding though, I've discovered a whole new American lingo.
If I ask, for example in the Church creche, if there is somewhere I can feed Lightning the lady will reply and say "...oh if you leave him here there are always plenty of people around to feed him when he needs fed". Not really what I had in mind. So I say and what about if I feed him myself and she replied "...oh yes, there's a nursing room just down the hall". So nursing it is. And sure enough I am a nursing mother, and perhaps we use that phrase in Britain, but I can't think of a time that I've heard it.
SATURDAY, 25 JUNE 2011
Counting Blue Cars
On Lightning's one month anniversary Toots, Tiger, Oma and the Don abandon him in favour of his namesake. That's right, it's off to the pictures for the first peek at Cars 2 - twenty two whole days before you Brits can.
Mummy and baby Lightning will just need to wait for a drive-in opportunity at a later date.
SUNDAY, 26 JUNE 2011
Things Can Only Get Better
Now, since I'm getting better hopefully over the next week I can blog a bit more (assuming some exciting things happen) and catch up on a few of those emails that have been desperately needing replied to... Sorry again, particularly for those that are awaiting emails. Speak soon!
2 comments:
Yeh! Was really quite suprised to never find you online when more or less expected; and can imagine something of the way your dental issues might well have compounded your feeding/nursing difficulties, having this week been unexpectedly faced with more (including way-out expenses!) of my own! Yes, dental, not nursing! So you certainly have my heartfelt sympathy, and at least you currently have an extra shoulde to cry on!
I can totally relate to the hot water bottle realisation.. had exactly the same moment a week or so ago!
Congratulations on your number 3 - I heard through Ingrid - enjoy him!
Post a Comment