Ha-ha! It pays to complain. Or to be memorably foreign. Or perhaps just to have the same surname as the dentists middle name.
That's right, this is another post about my teeth. It's getting kinda boring isn't it - I'm sorry. But since we're on the subject...
Tuesday I went back to the dentist to have the full set of x-rays and checkup done, and actually, it was a surprisingly positive experience. The appointment was at 8am so I didn't have to wait more than five minutes, and I didn't even fair too badly with the results: one root canal and crown on the tooth that's been giving me the heeby jeebies ever since we left Scotland every time I eat/drink something cold (so that's fair enough); two L-shaped filling/build up type things on two other random teeth; a suggested visit to the hygienist which included some fluoride thing; and three wisdom tooth removals (which seems to be standard). Not too sure why they insist on taking out the wisdom teeth but after having had one out already there is no way any more are coming out unless they're causing a problem. Which I said to the dentist who pretty much ignored me and told the nurse to put it on my dental plan anyway as a recommendation. And apart from the cost of the crown (another $670 to fork out) it was only $90 for the two fillings and $20 for the hygenist visit, which actually, ain't that bad!
Anyway, back to this morning...
I had only just sat down in the waiting room and found time to pick up People and flick to an interesting article on Pink's new baby girl (Willow Sage if you're interested - I was, would quite like to have read the magazine) when the nurse came through and called for me. I went obediently through, sat on the chair, and low and behold the dentist appeared immediately. He then spent five minutes telling me that he saw my name on the sheet this morning and decided that today he'd make sure he saw me on time and I wouldn't have to wait as long as I did the last few times. And he didn't know why I had to wait so long previously and he'd make sure it didn't happen in the future etc etc... So it could well be the complaining that's made a difference, or maybe just that he saw Boyd and recognised it, but I have a feeling it's the nice dental nurse that I've seen all four times I've been who knows I'm feeding, knows I've complained the last three times, and who I've overheard tell other folks that I'm nursing a newborn and need to get seen quickly.
The root canal and crown still took two hours to complete and I've to go back in three weeks time to get the proper crown put on and the two L-shaped thingies done so I'm not finished with Monarch Dental yet, but I am getting there... hooray! And I can finally eat some of the mountain of ice-cream that's in our freezer and drink the wonderful home made mango smoothies I've discovered without being in agony as my tooth warms up afterwards.
1 comment:
Just completed a dental saga of my own, with an additional unexpected split filling on a top incisor and what to me was a final astronomical bill of £75; at least in comparison to the free treatment I had previously benefited from! To think that THAT included TWO gold crowns makes me shudder when I see your comparatively exorbitant US dental fees! How can middle income people over there possibly afford ANY form of medical treatment?
Post a Comment