Friday, 22 November 2013

Grand Designs

The final day before Thanksgiving Break at Trinity is Grandparents Day.  It's pretty much a time for Grandparents and Grand Friends to check out the school, their Grandchildren's classrooms, listen to a concert, and give lots of money to the school through a silent auction  Seeing as a good majority of the kids in the school are now second/third generation Trinitarians (the rest all seem to be 'oil'), tapping the parents and grandparents proves very successful.  Some of the coveted auction items include 'buying' your parking space for the year, jumping to the front of the carpool line, being an honourary cheerleader, or flying your collegiate flag in front of the school.   Each Lower School (K-3) class also makes a piece of art work that is auctioned.  This was Tiger's:



It was a gorgeous tree with all the kids fingerprints on each brandch and Galatians 5:22-23 written underneath it.  I have to say I quite fancied it myself, except a bidding war broke out with the price increasing in $1,000 increments, so I kept well away from that one!

I can't actually find a picture of the artwork that Toots's class did, but it was basically a collage of the front cover of all the class's favourite stories (Fantastic Mr Fox was our choice).  I bid near the end but was pipped to the post by a well dressed grandma who could afford the final price far more than I could.  Which is a bit of a shame because it would have been a nice reminder of the school...

Anyway, this year's concert was all about Joy and accompanied by Huntley Brown. We were stuck at the back on the bleachers since we didn't attend the official breakfast an hour earlier, and so only really saw the back side of Toots' head when we did manage to see her, but the singing was good.






It was then time to look round the girls' classrooms and Tiger showed us her 'mat work' and 'contract', which is a big part of the Montessori method that the preschool uses.  We've obviously seen plenty of the classrooms, but I guess it is nice for the grandparents.


And then by 10.30am that was it: school was dismissed.  It's been a long Fall term so we are all looking forward to the next week off.

No comments: