For the third time in six years, Chocolate Mousse for Greedy Goose is the No. 1 Toddler Choice for Book At Bedtime. Of course Lightning is currently in an obsessed-about-a-book-for-a-fortnight phase (October was Monkey Puzzle* and Spot's Show And Tell; September's was The Very Hungry Caterpillar and That's Not My Puppy), so I know it won't last, but still, what a cracking story.
Julia Donaldson has just such a great way with words (Tiddler is another favourite. In fact, so are all her pre-2010 books illustrated by Axel Sheffler) though "Carrots - yuck!" I could do without hearing quite so often at the dinner table.
*Just noticed on Amazon.com it's called Where's My Mom. SO not as good a title. And how does the story end if it's not "Come little monkey, come, come come. It's time I took you home to ... mum!" ?!
Though maybe 'come' and 'mom' rhyme in American. I'll check it out with Toots tomorrow ;)

3 comments:
I recently discovered Stick Man and Tabby McTat when reading for a friend's child. Brilliant stuff. So far we only own The Gruffalo in case any one is looking for suitable pressies :)
I've not read their newer two or three, but the older ones are GREAT. I highly recommend The Smartest Giant in Town and Charlie Cooks Favourite Book, as well as the few mentioned in the post. It's amazing how quickly you can learn a book of rhymes as an adult!
Snail and the whale is my favourite but my boys' favourite was room on the broom. Classics!
Post a Comment