Wednesday, 19 November 2014

A Spaceman Came Travelling

The Don and I went to our final drive-in movie last Sunday night when he was back in Midland.  The car read -3C outside, and despite the duvet we were under, by the end we needed to leave the car engine on to prevent frostbite on our noses.  But what can I say, it's not like we'll be doing it again for a while!

Anyway, we went to see Matthew McConaughey's new movie Interstellar, which I have to say, I did quite enjoy.  But boy, the physics! Or at least I assume it's physics... I mean I don't even understand power, current, watts, amps and volts and these normal everyday things you need for light bulbs and moving countries and buying transformers for working your foreign appliances abroad.  So trying to understand spacetime and gravity let alone wormholes, gravitational time dilation, a black hole's singularity and extra-dimensional tesseracts, well... blew my mind.

Apparently the movie was quite scientifically accurate, but some of the images they gave you, and the speed of the explanations, just left you reeling and not too sure what you were seeing, what was happening or why.

Coming on the back of our visit to Space Centre Houston, and reading Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff which was picked up there, and Lightning's fascination with all things spaceship (thanks to the free information leaflet about the Centre that I left lying around and which he adopted and now spends hours carrying around and looking at and explaining, and the subsequent creation of a spaceship from a cardboard box, and the lure of the toy spaceship he can have if he ever spends more than two full nights in a row in his bed), our house has become quite full of 'space'.

Ha!  Literally too ;)