I have to say this is still my most favourite celebration of the year, but I also have to say I've become a bit lax in the effort that I put into it nowadays... not like them foreign days! Which is a shame really, and maybe something I'll fix for next year... but school holidays now falling the last two weeks of October certainly don't help...
Anyway, Guy Fawkes Night actually falls tomorrow, but tonight was our local bonfire and fireworks display. As we were walking out the road to the showground I was telling the kids all about how in 'the good ole days' every local park had their own bonfire and for weeks beforehand you'd see the wood being piled up and and the anticipation would mount. There would be adverts on the tele running up to November telling us all about the hazards associated with bonfires and sparklers, and without doubt at least one local park would go up in flames before the 5th ever came around. Kids would be on the streets with their 'Guys' collecting pennies, then throwing them on the flames, and it was always so much fun. In the end too many kids got burned, or something, and now unless you live out in the sticks you can really only go to these official celebrations.
Which in the spirit of Guy Fawkes (or not) now include food stands and carnie rides...
...which is exactly why we give these kids pocket money - cos there's no way we're spending our money on them!



No comments:
Post a Comment