Monday, 18 December 2017

Slow Lane

This is one of the only three* reasons I don't like living where we live:


This is the lane we have to drive up to get to our house.  It's an Access Only Lane, which means we have the legal right to drive up it at any time - it's in the deeds of our house - and all the houses that back on to it have legal rights to use it for access to their back gardens.  Everyone else walks up and down it, and they seem to think it's a Pedestrian Only lane.

We were driving back from school as I'd an unwell Joey, who I'd had to wake up and bundle in to the car for the school run, so I was not amused at being stuck here for 10 minutes on the way home waiting for folks to get back to their car.

People in their car blocking the lane while waiting for their children to get out of school is a fairly common occurrence.  Usually though we're walking so it makes no odds, and usually they are at least in their car and so can move out the way when I drive up and gesticulate wildly that I need to get up the lane.  But today both cars were sitting empty, so I called the Police.  Sure maybe it was a bit extreme - I knew someone was going to come back and get in the cars fairly soon - but ten minutes or not I shouldn't have to wait.  "I was running late for my son's party - this was the first time I've ever parked here".  Sure ma love, but you today, someone else tomorrow, someone else the next day...

Some double yellow lines would be the answer.


*The other two are the stares - and once or twice abuse - you get as you drive up or down this lane to get to our house (though I have hardened myself more to these), and the last are the L-E-A-V-E-S!!!  Which if you've ever witnessed pile up in our driveway you'll understand.  Oh, and that we don't have a garage I suppose...

No comments: