Friday, 21 June 2019

Gas Pedal 2.0

It was Kellands turn today to tackle the GIBR Family Route as part of their Big Pedal, and once again I offered up my chaperoning services.  And it really was a chaperone service...  I thought the last 3 miles with Joey was tiring in terms of being positive and encouraging despite his tired legs, big hills and long-gone siblings, but boy, needing to do it for the whole 13-mile route, to 10 and 11 year olds, was far more surprising. And although attitude plays a big part I think in getting round the course and how much the kids enjoyed it, their bikes also had a massive role to play - full suspension and thick off-road tyres hindered even free-wheeling down the hills, let alone the ascent of some long and steep ones.  And the total lack of understanding of what gears are for.  USE THEM!!! THEY'RE YOUR FRIENDS!!!


Anyway, I asked to be part of the first of the afternoon groups out so that I could [hopefully] get back in time for Joey's class assembly at 2:30pm, or at least before it was over.  Which I managed!  Just. 

Meanwhile back at the park, the P1-5s spent the day seeing again how far they could cycle in the 20 minutes their class was allocated: both Lightning and Joey managed seven times around the park which equaled about 7km, which ain't too bad!  Though I think they'd both rather have cycle the 13 mile route again.


No comments: