Monday, 9 December 2019

Happy Anniversary

It's our three-year anniversary of moving into Netherfield today.  It wasn't a grand celebration it has to be said, but it does feel significant.


Three years back in Scotland means we officially [and automatically] come off the SLB 'Home-Country Mobile' list, which doesn't mean we can't ever, or aren't willing to ever, move abroad again, but means we are basically settled and resident here.  Three years in Scotland means I can also now register our boys as British Citizens, which they already are through the Don, but not in and of their own right (which is necessary if they want to pass on British citizenship to any of their children in the future).  Three years is also the longest any of the kids have lived in one house.

And Netherfield definitely feels like it's a house we'll have forever.  It's far from perfect, but we are happy here, and enjoy making changes to it to make our life better, rather than to add value for selling in the future.  Saying that, I'd have no qualms renting it out if the opportunity came up to go live in the heat again, but I enjoy the thought of our kids growing up and making memories here.

This last decade has definitely been one of adventure - living abroad, growing the family, meeting life-long friends from all over the globe, having experiences and opportunities we'd never have had had we stayed in Scotland - and I'm really quite sad to see it end.  The coming decade I think is one of education: the last of them finishing primary, getting them all through secondary, the first of them starting at uni, and ultimately preparing them all for adventures of their own.

No comments: