Thursday, 18 December 2014

Here Comes Goodbye

It's been a week filled with Christmas and full of goodbyes, parties, and goodbye parties...

Sunday morning the kids once again sang at church and then at the senior centre.  We, of course, were at the other side of the church from all of our kids, but that's what friends with camera phones are for.  I do sometimes wonder if the kids will ever automatically sing the British verson of Away In A Manger again.


Sunday afternoon was our 'official farewell do', and I only welled up once at the numerous unbelievably kind comments people made.  I don't have any pictures of that until I download some from Oma, which will not be this week...

Monday was our Small Group Tacky Christmas Party, and everyone lucked out by getting an additional 'bonus' gift (some even got two!) from me.  What was Goodwill's loss, was definitely their gain: half full bottle of nail varnish remover, anyone?  Choice of used, but sanitized, toilet plungers?  New padded toilet seat?  Yes, that one.  In fact, my genuine white elephant gift was stolen twice, so ended up being surprisingly popular (click on that link: it makes it even funnier!).  But this is Texas.


Check out the padded top forth from left.  Look familiar?  And to think I could have saved her a bob by giving it to her instead of just returning it to Goodwill about a month ago!


This morning Toots had her 2nd Grade Santa's Helper Program, which was basically a bunch of poems and jokes, followed by a Christmas gift book exchange.  I love how much kids this age can learn, and what with the lack of religion in Abu Dhabi schools (and therefore these holidays are called winter holidays), I'm glad she's learning as much as she can now!





And then it was time for the farewell parties with their class.  This was another cause for welling up...



The Class of 2025 +1

Each second grader also wrote an individual note, got a polaroid taken with Toots, and will present her with a 'memory scrap book' to take away with her.

Ms House and Mrs Adams



Lily had a Cookie Party with her class, which just thrilled her to bits.  Each child in class secretly wrote her a note saying how much they loved her and would miss her, and read it out to her at the front of class.  They were so sweet.



These girls are loved at Trinity, by teachers and students alike, that is so clear.

This evening was also our last Awana here at MBC.  We had been given unbelievable knowledge and memories from being part of this club, and we are all so thrilled we can join another one in Abu Dhabi.  Actually, we have been incredibly loved at MBC in general, and we are sure to miss both school and church and the friends we have made through them, more than we probably appreciate right now.

So I'm off to find some more tissues...  Because it's Tiger's end of term service tomorrow and therefore the last time she'll sing the National Anthem and say the Pledge of Allegiance, and last time she will see her school mates.  I will not cry.  I will not cry.

1 comment:

Blondefish said...

Nice you've been able to do all the usual party stuff even without the Don. Must be hard saying goodbye...harder for you than for them maybe?!