Tuesday, 22 December 2015

A Year (practically) Without Rain

Today marks our one year sandiversary.

One year ago today we (the kids and I) landed in Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates, though as Toots keeps pointing out, it was most definitely tomorrow before we finally made it to bed.

We marked the year by going bowling.  Which okay isn't really a traditional anniversary event (and certainly not a sandiversary one) but we had vouchers to use before the end of the year, we needed to get out the house, and it is something that we have gotten quite in to since moving here.  The only time we were ten-pin bowled in the States was thirteen months ago in Ruidoso (check out that score!), and that was quite by chance, but since coming here it's been at least a bi-monthly event.  Our kids love it.

Anyway, this is how I felt when I left Midland.  And I think it's still pretty accurate to how I feel a year on when people ask me if I'm enjoying living here, whether I miss Midland or Scotland.  I think without doubt I have made friends quicker here than I did in MIdland, and I've settled in to a routine and a life and a way of doing things faster than I did in Midland, but that's partly the nature of living in an ex-pat community, and partly having kids that are older that force a routine and a way of doing things on us all.  Only a year in and I have newly made friends that are already getting ready to leave, and that makes me sad because we'll never have the chance to develop our friendships further and create more memories while living in the same place, but at the same time these are probably friends I will stay in touch with for a very long time; friends who are up for travelling and having new experiences and (hopefully) providing accommodation for us when we wish to visit!  So yeah, I have really enjoyed my time here in Abu Dhabi, the Don has enjoyed the challenges of very different work, and the kids have flourished as school and church and through learning and living in a different culture.  But we all definitely miss things about Midland, and Scotland, especially friendships and traditions, but never enough to make us regret our decisions to move.  We love travelling, love exploring, learning about new cultures and histories and adopting some of those traditions as our own.  Though I have to say I have learned that I in no way want to live out my life long-term in the ex-pat world!

So, onwards and upwards and here's to year two in the sand...

No comments: