Sunday, 20 December 2015

Holly Jolly Christmas

Best time of the year, you know.

And being our official first day of the holiday, for the Don too, it meant most of our day was spent in jammies, decorating our (cardboard*) Christmas tree, listening to the first of many Christmas recitals by the kids, playing a new family game of Dobble, creating our gingerbread house, watching A Muppet's Christmas Carol... and heading to Ikea for tea and a play.  Okay so the last one isn't really a Christmassy thing, but whatever.

All-in-all, a cracking start to the holidays!






*I am a big believer in the real tree; if I had my way we would never have a fake tree in this house.  Ever.  So I was thrilled last year when the Don discovered you could actually buy real trees here, albeit at a very great cost.  But to be honest the cost of a real Oregon fir was pretty expensive in the States too - no heading down to the woods in West Texas... Last year, however, we only landed here in Abu Dhabi on December 22nd, so ended up having a Christmas-at-Hogmanay celebration, which was fantastic fun, but meant there was no point spending all that money on a tree for a week, had we even been able to find one at that stage. Though I was sorely tempted...  Queue the creation of one from empty packing boxes by our resident architects.  It was genius.  And it could be flat packed.  Which was rather handy this year, since we took so long to actually do anything about Christmas, and dithered so long about the cost vs the benefits of a real tree.  Next year we might even get round to painting it green before covering it in our baubles.  Still, I think it looks kinda cool, and is certainly unique!

No comments: