Friday, 24 October 2014

Driving My Life Away

Turns out my stickering wasn't so clear after all!  After the first night the packers had to relocate the boys' special pillows and night-time cuddly toys, I found and ripped open myself the Ottoman (which was not supposed to get wrapped at all) that held the girls underwear and pyjamas, and my beloved dust-buster (without which I'm not sure I'll survive) was never discovered and is currently on its way to Abu Dhabi.

But it's done.  Done!  And I am not sad to see the back of it all: it was a tough three days.  Except now I'm on cleaning duty, which is no ones idea of fun (I'm not sure I've ever had blisters from mopping before)...

What a mess it was yesterday afternoon: pieces of Lego, Barbie house cutlery, Cheerios crumbs, Hamma beads, odd jewels, pennies and feathers all suddenly finding the light of day, combined with three days of constant open door and window dust, throw in some rain, continuous traipsing in and out, scraps of cardboard, parcel tape and wrapping, as well as two years worth of dust under the piano, shelves, beds, TV.... Eurgh.  But for a few rooms the place is now clean and tidy, and in the dirt's place are some blow up beds, camping chairs, a sofa bed, loads of loaned toys, books, DVDs and chairs, crockery and cutlery, mugs - MUGS! - and it's starting to feel once again like home.  A very empty echoey home, but a home none the less.

So this has been our life since Tuesday:

Tuesday morning - they're here!!!

Tuesday afternoon

Tuesday night



Wednesday morning

Watching a DVD is not a normal breakfast habit, I have to say, but needs must.  And after breakfast it was on to fort-making and tunnelling behind, under and through the boxes in the living room, which was pretty good fun.

Thursday morning

Thursday lunch time -
I have to say I doubted it would all fit in!

These boys have been fascinated by the whole process.  Joey, if he'd had the choice, would have spent every available hour outside watching them work, or following them from room to room.  Of course this is incredibly impractical when they are trying to move heavy furniture through the house and out to the container, and I am not an outdoors person so was not happy to spend any more than half an hour outside, but whatever, I'm sure it's all part of their job.

Thursday afternoon


Thursday evening - clean (enough)!

Thursday night

And I was going to say my kids haven't really been affected by all the changes!  That was my bed.

Friday morning

Boy I am looking forward to the weekend tomorrow.

3 comments:

Blondefish said...

You were loaned a nursing chair?

super sonia said...

No, it's ours. But it's not coming with us since a spring is badly broken and the adjustable/moveable back doesn't go forward any more.

AFG said...

WAOW! That's a lot of boxes and brown paper. Well done!