Wednesday, 8 October 2014

In A Minute

EVERYONE! JUST GIVE ME A MINUTE!! is what I wanted to shout at various points in my first forty-five minutes awake this morning.

Tiger woke up with sore, itchy, hard to open eyes, and after seeing them slightly pink tinged and watery last night I reckoned I couldn't ignore the fact that it probably was pink eye (conjunctivitus) that she had.  So off I head to the kitchen to check on that good ole reliable World Wide Web to find pictures to check it really is pink eye, and if so how to treat it with what I have in the house, and whether and how long I have to keep her off school for (my kids have had gunky eyes before, but never actually pink eyes and it's never been that bad).   I notice the Don messages me as soon as I activate the computer, which means I want to reply and update him, and also if I don't message him now when he's online I don't know when he'll next be online... Meanwhile Joey wakes up and is standing in his bed demanding attention, Lightning is now in their bedroom shouting at me in the kitchen that he needs clothes, Tiger is trailing around asking me if she should get dressed or what she should do, and Toots, thankfully, is up, dressed, ready and sorting out breakfast.

So I'm still trying to work out what exactly to do with Tiger and Joey is now out of the cot and screaming at all of us because he wants juice.  Juice.  ORANGE JUICE!  No, not that orange juice in the half gallon carton that we picked up at Albertsons yesterday because there were no gallon bottles left.  But the gallon bottle that he usually gets his juice from that he is sure is in the fridge and we are just denying him.  Now time for breakfast.  Breakfast.  BREAKFAST MUM!  Where are you?  Why are you not listening to my screams? Why are you ignoring me, walking away from me, mum? MUM!  No Toots you won't do, I need mum.  MUM!

Joey doesn't speak yet by the way.  Not a single word.  Well, maybe mamama you can make out... but believe you me, he can be clear as day.

Meanwhile I have gone to deal with Lightning's yells - he's managed to select which t-shirt he wants to wear but can't reach the trousers - and poor Tiger is back to lolling around our bedroom waiting to get her eyes cleaned and lavender put round them.  Toots is trying valiently to calm Joey down and meet his demands and get herself breakfast but he's not having it, he wants picked up, and carried, and hugged, and shown how much he is loved.  And if he can't be carried then he will cling on to your leg and not let go demanding attention from below.  And I still need to get breakfast for all of them.  And make their lunch.  And get dressed myself.  And change Joey's nappy since real nappies worn all night really need changed as soon as the child wakes up.  And get him dressed.  And clean those flamin' eyes before Tiger can get herself dressed and breakfasted.  And go online and record that Tiger won't be in school today before she gets a tardy mark or Unaccetable Abscense against her name.  And squeeze the toothpaste on to the toothbrushes because it's the end of the tube and Toots can't do it herself.  And help Lightning put on his socks.  And still make those lunches and get myself dressed.  And everything. is. time-bound.  30 minutes and counting before we have to get out the door.  And kids. don't. care. that I am helping someone else and want. attention. now. Now. NOW!

JUST GIVE ME A MINUTE! runs on a loop around my head.

And after the school run is done and we are back in the house then it starts again.  I want more breakfast despite the fact that I shoved it away half an hour ago (Joe).  What do I dooooo all day??  Can I watch TV?  Can you read me these stories?  (Tiger).  Can I watch TV?  Can you read me these stories?  I'm boooored! (Lightning).  It's flamin' five past eight!  And no, I still have the breakfast table to clear and the dishwasher to fill and that washing to get on and those clothes to get out the tumble dryer from last night and dad to talk to and people to call up incase they don't want their kids to come to our infectious house this morning and other friends to call for advice on how to use lavender oil and Joey to pick up and carry and hug and show how much he is loved and. and. and.

Still, only three more sleeps then all these demands will be met by Oma's capable hands, while Joey and I cross the world to enjoy some sun, sea, sand, sunbathing and swimming.  And getting myself lots of hugs and being show lots of love in return.

No comments: